Sometimes I just want a hot cup of tea
As a Raw Enthusiast -- the rule of thumb is 85-95% Raw and the other 5%-15% well - not Raw. A hot cup tea is usually considered a “no-no”, and actually, Raw Purists suggest giving up caffeine all together. Look – I gave up the coffee (but will have that as well if I really, really, really need or want one), but my morning routine really revolves around making my special blend of tea! It’s warming, it’s soothing (and I use caffeinated -- green or black -- tea), it’s relaxing. I drink it as I check my morning email messages or FB while the whole world is sleeping around me. It’s my time.
Yes – I could probably adhere to the rules of raw eating and gently warm my tea – but I do love boiled water to steep tea with. Listed below is how I make my morning tea. I like to use herbs that have warming powers as well as well as medicinal benefits. Note that I use a HUGE mug (I think it’s 32 oz) so yes – I used 2 teabags to make this.
While the waters on for boiling this is what I prepare.
2 teabags of your choice (could be herbal as well – could be 1 teabag). .
1 disk of fresh ginger peeled. If you don’t have fresh ginger and only have ground ginger – you can use a sprinkle/shake of that. If you don’t have ginger – leave it out.
Couple shakes of Cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
A couple of Cardamom seeds from 2-3 pods (most people do not have this in their cupboard. That’s okay. Don’t run out to buy it.). I like the licorice flavor it has.
Now – I usually just throw everything into my mug and then pour the boiled water over it and let it steep. It becomes an opaque broth because of all the spices. I just happen to like it that way. I ingest it as I sip and feel that all the spices are doing wonderful things for me. If you don’t want an opaque tea and if you have a tea strainer around – feel free to put all your ingredients in that and then steep your tea. I will admit that there have been a couple of times when I put all the ingredients in but forgot the tea bags. The liquid is so opaque that I didn't even notice until I got to the office and wonder why I never got that “kick” this morning!!
So I drink this warm concoction as I check messages and watch the morning news and then I make my green smoothie. I drink both simultaneously luxuriating over my PC and waiting for the kids to get up. This routine usually starts at around 5:30 a.m. on weekdays and 7:00ish on the weekends. But it’s my time . . . my precious time . . . until the craziness begins!!
You can make your tea however way you’d want to. And the “Raw Police” have not come to my door yet with a warrant for my arrest. Do what’s best for you. Maybe one day I’ll give up that cup of tea, but as for now – as long as an alarm clock has to wake me up and not the natural rising of the sun – hot tea will have to do!!