I Do Love Rainy Days!
I sometimes think I’m the only one who truly loves rainy days! To me – they are peaceful . . . zen-like! Now, there’s definitely a difference between horrible torrential rains where damage is reported or environments are deemed “unsafe”. I’m talking you’re everyday seasonal rains. Especially during Fall.
As I drive around on a cloudy, rainy day – I notice all the greenery around me – grass, trees, shrubbery, flowers, plants and they look happy! They are being fed exactly what they need to thrive, grow and support the ecosystem!!! We need the rain – they need the rain as well.
There’s really nothing better than taking a walk in the rain
Smell what rain smells like when you’re walking. It smells cleaner, fresher. It’s calming!!! Become one with your thoughts (other than – OMG – I’ve got to get the heck out of this rain!!). Go out and play in the rain! Jump in the puddles! Be rebellious! Find your inner child!!!
I don’t feel guilty staying in doors when it’s raining outside.
It’s peaceful for me. Listen to the rain hit the windows. Look out your windows and marvel at Mother Nature at her finest!
Here are some things I LOVE to do when it’s raining outside:
- I love to read when it’s raining. I love to learn new things about things I’m passionate about.
- I love reading recipe books! Yes I do! I read them like novels and soak up every last detail!!!
- I check out my favorite websites – usually related to recipes, nutrition and health!
- I love watching “chick flicks”! You can watch whatever you like, but for me – it’s all about the romance.
- Binge-watch TV. Get caught up on what you’ve been missing! Then post about it!
- I love cooking and baking. If it’s Fall or Winter, I love making hearty nutritional soups (I am including a delicious recipe below)! Or my very nutritious allergy-free breads, cakes and cookies!
- I love writing, which I have not had a chance to do in a very long time!
- I love being with myself, my thoughts – getting caught up with my dreams, my goals, my desires. Can’t do that when I’m running around living life!
- Nap – don’t get me started on Naps! But they are truly one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself to rejuvenate and regenerate! You feel less guilty napping on a rainy day then you do on a sunny day.
- Clean – I find it easier cleaning and organizing on a rainy day than a sunny day. I feel as if I’m missing out on a sunny day staying inside!
- Go to the beach when it rains! I don’t because I’m usually inside doing 1-8 above. But the beach won’t be crowded and there is something mystic and soothing about being in the rain by the ocean!
- Go to the library when it rains! Sit there and take in everything about the thousands of books at your disposal! A lot of libraries now have a cafeteria where you can have something warm to drink, a nice little snack and read a book!
People find rainy cloudy days depressing! I find them enlightening. Perhaps I’m wired differently? Who knows?!
I made this https://bluezones.com/recipe/easy-lentil-soup/ recipe the other rainy day. It turned out delicious. I did make some changes, due to the ingredients that I had and my particular tastes for that day.
- Instead of two tomatoes – I used a can of sodium free chopped tomatoes.
- I added more onions than the recipe called for because I like them!
- I added more carrots (and I had tri colored carrots only) because I like them!
- I had to us a white sweet potato instead of a potato because that is all I had.
- I added about 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes because I was in the mood to!
- I added about 1/2 cup of cannellini beans because I had leftovers!
- I added about 3 cloves of chopped garlic because I wanted fresh garlic in the soup!
- I did saute the onions, carrots and garlic first for about 7 minutes.
- I had to use Avocado Oil because I ran out of Olive oil
The dish came out Delish! Leftovers are even better. I heat it up and put it in 16 ounce thermos jars and bring to work with me!
In conclusion, when it rains, it does not necessarily means it pours. Enjoy your rainy day! Read a book, watch a movie, binge-watch TV, get in the kitchen and create! If you do make this soup, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!